Thank you for taking an interest in the sample selection of videos in the Board Essentials series. The full series has over 40 videos that cover the breadth of the roles and responsibilities of boards, but also deep-dive sessions to explore more complex and sensitive topic areas.
The Board Essentials full series of videos is broken down into the following sections
This introductory section provides an overview of the board development series and common terms, but also includes an important video on child safeguarding which has been purposefully put front and centre to ensure this important topic gets your attention.
- Introduction to the board essentials series and effective governance
- Board terminology and common terms used
- Child protection and safeguarding – implications for boards
This section gives some broader perspectives that provides opportunities to reflect on the work of the board and your own personal motivation. Videos include:
- The 5C model of governance
- Why Serve? What’s your own personal motivation for serving on the board
- Insight into your own learning
This section begins to unpick the different facets of responsibilities within the board, by focusing on the following three areas:
- Board roles and responsibilities
- Role of the trustee
- Role of the Chair
This section looks at onboarding new board members, but also the important strategies to ensure that everyone on the board is working to a common set of assumptions.
- Trustee Essential Agreements
- Onboarding new trustees (2 videos)
This section explores the different ways boards may be structured and how to ensure these structures have the desired impact.
- Board meetings and procedures
- Committees and board structures
- Committee Terms of Reference
- Governance Committee
This section explores the fiscal responsibilities of all board members, but also goes into more depth with conflict of interest and the financial oversight for those on a Finance Committee.
- Fiscal responsibilities
- Finance Committee
- Conflict of Interest
Boards often face challenges when complaints or appeals emerge. These videos explore some of the issues and complexities that boards need to bear in mind.
- Dealing with concerns
- Managing appeals
- Avoiding bias
What are the duties of the board? These videos explore the three duties of governance and the importance of managing and monitoring policy.
- The Three Duties of Governance
- Managing and Monitoring Policy
This section explores the key role of the board in setting the strategic directions of the school in line with the mission.
- Mission and Vision
- Developing a board annual calendar
- Strategic planning
- Board goal setting
- Accreditation and the implications for boards
What responsibilities and opportunities are there for building strong relationships with the Head of School and within the wider community?
- Relationship with the Head of School
- Hiring the Head of School
- Relationships within the wider community
- Board-led stories
This section unpicks some of the issues around evaluating the Head of School, but also the important and often forgotten aspects of evaluating the board.
- Evaluating the Head of School
- Dismissal or non-renewal of the Head of School
- Evaluating the Board
There’s no magic pill to being a more effective board, but there are incremental steps that can be taken.
- Modes of governance
- Board succession planning
- Board professional development
The role of the Board Chair is pivotal for a school. This section breaks down effective board chair skills.
- Introduction to board chair skills
- Effective board chair skills (2 videos)
- Chairing alternative style meetings